My friend asked me to do a blog on metal Christmas songs. Turns out that was a balls idea since I only know like 4, BUT it gave me an idea. Since it is the season to be cold, wet and generally miserable, I’ve decided to put together a list of ‘The Most Badass Songs With Winter In The Title!’
1. Blind Guardian – Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns): a fantastic piece of dark, bombastic power metal majesty
2. Sunn 0))) – Cursed Realm of the Winterdemons: The Immortal track was classic, but this cover is mind suffocatingly dense
3. Darkthrone – The Pagan Winter: Icy black metal from Norway’s finest sons
4. Sodom – Nuclear Winter: vicious early thrash from the German legends
5. Dragonforce – Black Winter Night: before they went all 500mph, Dragonforce were actually a pretty good power metal band
6. Immortal – At the Heart of Winter: the title track to probably my favourite Immortal record. At the heart of winter, there stands Immortal
7. Swallow the Sun – Descending Winters: crushing death/doom that truly feels like the cold is caving in
8. Wintersun – Winter Madness: melodic death metal at its purest, finest moments
9. Hail of Bullets – General Winter: an ominous air raid siren ushers in this juddering death metal classic about the harsh Russian cold
10. Cathedral – Aphrodites Winter: Another slab of finest English doom from the sadly retired legends.
So there we have it, that’s my top ten tracks involving winter. In fairness, I could’ve have just done an Immortal greatest hits, but that would’ve been lazy…!